It isn’t enough to simply be good at what you do in business today to be successful. There are several approaches that top companies use to gain the competitive edge. Strategic thinking is one of the best skills a leader can teach their staff and empower the team to perform at the top of their games. You can start with leading by example and share your strategies with your top managers who can then teach the skill to their employees. Here are a few simple tips for getting your employees to think strategically.
- Share information. One of the best ways to encourage your managers to be more strategic is to keep them informed about all of the details of the company. They need to know how all of the pieces fit together to be able to think more deliberately about the whole.
- Encourage mentorships. There are always people in your office who understand the processes better than others. It doesn’t mean the others are incapable but maybe they haven’t had the right opportunities. Pair your managers with mentors who can teach them the skills.
- Live your philosophy. The best way to get everyone on board at the company is to instill a mission statement and a sense of shared core values. If everyone believes in the purpose of the company they will be more likely to perform well.
- Reward long term thinking. Many companies establish recognition programs for jobs well done, but this is only half of the process. Reward members of your team who have demonstrated foresight in their jobs.
- Ask the right questions. Once you begin encouraging strategic thinking it is also necessary to direct it to the right end goals. When a staff member brings an idea to the table ask how it will benefit the company long term and how they propose to make it happen.
Are you ready to create a company of strong leaders and strategic thinkers? HTSS, a top staffing agency in Pennsylvania, can help you with a plan of action and take your business to the next level.