Customer service isn’t just an issue for retailers or the hospitality industry. If every industry treated their core consumer base with the right customer service experience, they would see their business take off in no time. Creating top notch customer service in your business, regardless of your industry, is important to the health of your organization. Here are a few ways to focus on customer service today.
- Happy employees equal happy customers. The key to excellent customer service starts within your organization. Unhappy employees may not mean to provide less than quality customer service, but they do. Find out what makes your employees happy and implement changes to improve performance, retention, and service.
- Establish guidelines, not rules. Once you have made your employees happy and engaged on the job, trust them to make the right decisions. Customers get upset when they are told a request can’t be honored because of some type of company policy. Instead, establish general guidelines and give your employees the authority to make decisions based on them.
- See complaints as opportunities to improve. If you view a customer complaint as a problem, you may miss some big opportunities to make major improvements. Customer complaints will happen. How you address them could change the course of your business for the better.
- Know how to apologize. Some businesses have the mindset that they should never have to apologize because admitting to faults takes away authority. Mistakes and human error do happen and a customer will respond better if you own up to them. Most importantly, don’t wait for your customer to discover a mistake. Admit to it and make it right immediately.
- Go above and beyond. Surprise your customers with a better experience than they may have expected. Give them access to information, help them out along the way, and think outside the box. Once again, allowing your employees to make decisions that can impact the happiness of your customer will help your business in the long term.