Forklifts are an essential part of warehouse operations. Whether your warehouse currently has jobs hiring in Allentown, PA or you’re just working to make sure existing staff has the proper knowledge, you can never be too careful when it comes to these powerful machines.
The importance of ensuring workers have the proper training to operate a forklift cannot be emphasized enough. Overturns are the number one cause of fatalities involving forklifts, accounting for roughly 25% of all forklift-related deaths, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
Beyond that, case studies examined by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health suggest both the factory environment and the operator’s actions can contribute to accidents involving forklifts. Additionally, findings indicate that many workers and employers are either not aware of or are not using proper safety procedures for forklifts to lower the risk of serious — or even deadly — accidents.
5 Tips to Prevent Forklift Accidents at Your Warehouse
The OSHA website offers a wealth of information on proper forklift safety. Here’s some guidance to pass on to your team.
- Before starting the forklift, the operator should always ensure their path is clear. If their view is obstructed, they should sound a horn or ask a colleague to make sure it’s safe to begin moving.
- Forklift operators should drive the vehicle with caution, keeping a careful eye out for dangerous blind spots.
- When parking a forklift, the operator should never choose an unauthorized area. The selected parking spot shouldn’t block an aisle or exits and should always follow proper warehouse procedure.
- Operators should always come to a complete stop before changing directions. When reversing the forklift, a horn should be sounded or a warning light lit to alert pedestrians.
- Before turning, forklift speed must be reduced to a safe level. Operators should proceed with caution when making turns and never turn with forks elevated.
Safety is a top priority at your warehouse, so you need workers who share this same value. HTSS, Inc. is just as committed to worker safety as you are, so team up with us to fill your open positions with talent you can count on. Contact us today to fill your temporary, temp-to-hire and direct hire positions with talent you can count on!